Consume less electricity
Published on December 19, 2018 1:58 am, by Jen Bakker
Electricity and gas bills have gone up a lot in the last few years. There are two ways you can make sure you are not paying more than you need to.
Firstly, if you live in one of the states or cities with multiple retailers and have the option, the quickest and easiest way to lower your energy costs is to change to a cheaper plan.
Secondly, once you’re on the cheapest plan for you, the other way to drive your electricity cost down is by consuming less.
Our feature Bill Watch helps customers with the first way, and here you will find some hints and tips to help you with the second:
Tips for lowering energy consumption around your home
- Heating is expensive, so things, like washing your clothes in cold water, and reducing the temperature of your dishwasher, will make a difference in your usage
- Consider turning your hot water off overnight, the temperature is normally only slightly reduced by morning, and you can switch it back on when you wake up
- Be mindful of the air conditioner – the most energy-efficient temperatures to use are 25 to 27 degrees in summer and 18 to 20 degrees in winter
- Don’t leave the air conditioner on all night – rather use it to get the room to a bearable temperature and then turn it off. Worst case if you wake up hot or cold, you can turn it back on
- If you have a time of use or flexible meter, wash your clothes and dishes outside of peak time. Also, set your pool filter to do its thing off-peak
- Be efficient in your use of the washing machine and dishwasher – make sure you have a full load
- Know which appliances are expensive to run and minimise their use – e.g. clothes dryer, air conditioner, heater
- Turn appliances off at the wall when they’re not in use. Things like the television and microwave use standby power which costs money
- Turn off the lights and fan when you leave a room
- Use LED light bulbs – they consume significantly less electricity
- In winter use rugs & door stops to block gaps in doors and naturally warm your home